Muskoka Summit on the Environment (MSE) is a biennial event that provides a forum for the public to explore and debate pressing environmental issues with leading thinkers in the field. The purpose of the MSE Research Grant is to support graduate student environmental research within the Muskoka River Watershed, in the fields of environmental science, resource studies and/or policy.
Any student accepted or currently enrolled in a graduate program related to environmental science, resource studies and/or policy is eligible for funding. The grant will be administered by the university where the student is enrolled.
The MSE Organizing Committee reserves the right to forego an award if no applications are deemed acceptable for funding.
The grant will be in the amount of $7,500, and is designed to support a wide range of environmental research on aquatic, terrestrial, and atmospheric environments. The student will be expected to prepare a final report (5 pages maximum) and budget statement within two years of receiving the Grant, and to prepare a poster presentation of his/her research findings at the Muskoka Summit on the Environment biennial meeting (in Bracebridge, Ontario).
Funds must be used to support graduate student research activities within the Muskoka region, and this may include:
- graduate student stipend or salary
- payment for research assistants
- travel expenses to and from research sites, or to scientific conferences or workshops
- equipment rental for research activities
- books, periodicals or research materials
- costs associated with publication of research (e.g. page charges)
The MSE Research Grant may not be used to cover overhead or administrative expenses.
Applications will be reviewed and adjudicated by the MSE Organizing Committee using the following criteria:
- Quality and originality of the research proposal (25%), including a discussion on how the study aligns with other research in the Muskoka region, and the data gaps it will fill (15%)
- Research and scholarly achievements of the applicant (30%)
- Description of how funds will be used (10%)
- Letter of support from academic advisor/supervisor (20%)
Competition Deadline Dates
- Submission date: February 28, 2014
- Decision date: April 1, 2014
- Grant presented at the Muskoka Summit on the Environment: May 8-9, 2014
Applications closed February 28, 2014.
Questions or inquiries regarding the MSE Research Grant or the application process can be directed to email@example.com.